Webmaster

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Book cover shoot in New York

This is a strange story on a couple of levels.  First, I was asked to photograph a doctor and one of his patients in New York City for a book cover. You'd think there might be a photographer in NY who could do this, but they had a reference from a designer I've worked with many times here in Orlando, and they really wanted me to shoot it. OK, fine.
The second odd thing is that this doctor specializes in Gynecomastia, which is male breast reduction. I'm not making this up.  He's done thousands of them, is considered the best in the world and has written a book about it that needs photos.  OK, fine.
So, I get a layout from Candace Crowe Design, who primarily works with cosmetic surgeons on their marketing, and we arrange a time to shoot in New York that works for everyone.
I have a friend that's a photographer in Brooklyn who hooks me up with lighting equipment and an assistant and we're ready to go.
I was concerned about getting the gear to two locations in the same day, but the assistant hired a delivery car and I just had to meet him at the gym for the model shoot with my camera.  This was easier than working at home!
Our cover model, and former patient, is a busy personal trainer with a very tight schedule, but I was well prepared and did his body shot quickly.  Then we were off to meet the doctor in mid-town for his portrait session.  Dr. Blau is a very nice man, and he was patient and cooperative in coming up with a nice photo.  After that the assistant took the equipment back, and I met my wife and some friends for a tour of Radio City Music Hall a few blocks away.  All in a days work.

Here's the final book cover


Here we are in the Brooklyn Gym.  That's me on the right, in case you weren't sure.

This is the original comp I was given



Photography on location for advertising, editorial, corporate, video, magazine, architecture and sports clients in the Orlando and Central Florida area.



LinkedIn
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a message here or email me at: steve@stevewilliamsphoto.com